Saturday, March 13, 2010

Too Legit To Quit

Here's a great idea... I'll do something I love and enjoy and then I'll make money for it (or at least TRY to)! Sounds simple enough, but you know how that goes... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. In September 2009 I set up an etsy.com account, but it wasn't until a few months ago that I actually listed anything for sale and when I did it was nothing more than one baby blanket I had spent countless hours creating and a multitude of dishcloths (which happened to be the first thing I ever learned to crochet). At that point that was pretty much the extent of my crocheting skills. I have since then listed a few more blankets, 2 of which I sold offline to family members, none of which I have sold on etsy. Of course I can't really blame anyone for not buying... the pictures are barely mediocre and the selection is, well... crap (though my dishcloths have had 70 hits).

In the past month I put down the baby blankets and picked up a broader range of skills, working feverishly to produce something original and fun... something someone might actually want to buy. I am happy to say I'm getting closer to that goal (at least I think so). But a week ago is when things got a little rocky. I discovered that to legitimately sell my items I actually had to register as a business... yes, that's right... an actual business! And oh boy is that where I hit a huge brick wall. I was full of questions on how to go about it, but the answers were elusive at best. At least 20 times a day I went back and forth in my mind about whether I should forge ahead or give up the fight. Luckily, my personal "mission statement" in this endeavor is this: "If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right." (Mary Kay Ash) After making this my mantra I was able to keep pulling myself back from the depths of despair to overcome that brick wall in front of my head. Answers were eventually found and the process has been started (involving lots of fun forms). It is altogether possible I will never sell a single thing to anyone outside of my family (thanks for believing, mom!), but I know one thing is for sure... I am too legit to quit. In other words, I am awesome.



As always

Angela



www.etsy.com/asalwaysangela

1 comment:

  1. That's what mom's are for (believing)!!!! You are really great at what you do :)

    ReplyDelete

Your awesome comments are much appreciated!