Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Card and Gift Box Sets

I've noticed that I'm often so focused on creating items for my online store or completing special orders for people I know that I don't always make time to actually make and give out my own handmade items to the people I am closest to. Can anyone else relate? Long story short, my oldest daughter attends preschool so I wanted to create something special to go with the gifts they are given. Basically, all the parents put in a certain amount of money and gift cards are purchased for each of the two teachers. I volunteered to make cards, but then I also got the idea to make coordinating gift boxes for the cards to be nestled in. Here's what I came up with...

This is a full view of one of the cards (both cards are essentially the same) with a handmade envelope...


Here is the card with the gift box...

Here is a close up of the Santa. I created this part of the card by stamping the Santa from the Tim Holtz Letters To Santa stamp set onto a cream cardstock. I then colored him in using various Distress Inks in Fired Brick, Peeled Paint, Antique Linen and Spun Sugar (for the rosy cheeks and nose). After die cutting with my Spellbinders oval Nestabilities die I used Old Paper and Vintage Photo Distress Inks around the edges of the image. I used the next size up oval die for the deep red paper beneath, adhering the Santa image with dimensional adhesives.
I used the script stamp from the same Letters To Santa set to add a very subtle detail to the green paper. The rhinestones on the bottom were originally clear-- I used Cranberry alcohol ink (from Ranger, Inc) to coordinate them with the deep red paper. I also distressed the edges of the card base, the green paper and the red oval. For the red and green papers I added Vintage Photo Distress Ink to the edges.
Here are the two boxes I created to coordinate with the cards. I created these using my Martha Stewart Scoring Board and 4 sheets of 8x8 paper. I distressed the box edges using my Tim Holtz Paper Distresser (by Tonic) and added some more of that good ol' Vintage Photo Distress Ink. To the tops of the boxes I added some lurvely rosettes which I made using my brand new (to me, that is... just got it this past week!) Tim Holtz Paper Rosette die. (Can you tell yet that I LOVE me some Tim Holtz)? I cut the green circles with my 1 1/4" circle punch and then added more alcohol inked rhinestones to the top.
To add a little something extra special, I used real vintage book pages for the inside of these boxes. (I really hope I don't offend the recipients... they are teachers after all). After tearing my pages out I used my Paper Crimper to add some texture and then an office supply paper shredder (it was in the basement when we moved in-- woo hoo!) to cut the pages.
So there you have it... I finally made something for someone I know! But seriously, I hope you've enjoyed looking at these and I also hope I wasn't too long winded in my explanations. Would love to hear your feedback! Also, if you have any questions about anything I did or used to create these, please feel free to ask!
As always
Angela
PS. All paper used is from the Naughty or Nice stack by Recollections which is the Michael's brand (and I must say... it is GORGEOUS).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your awesome comments are much appreciated!